[ale] DVD drive and/or ieee1394 and legality

foster7152 at bellsouth.net foster7152 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 17 19:31:28 EDT 2009

I have a few problems with my SuSE 11.0 > 11.1-64 on my Intel 82955X board with 82801G ide controller, although I doubt chips influence them problems.

Kmix crashes for my non-priveleged user (so?)-> the sliders aren't "static" when I console invoke. C-L amarok won't appear (how do I find out what %U is, isit /dev/sr0? (as in amarok %U) K3b can't see the optical drive unless root runs it, which kills cddb lookups.  Or maybe the compression; root-dir-level /cdrom has loose user permissions, I'd anticipate fiddling with /dev file would change back next boot. Can I delete things in, like,  /etc/sysconfig and make YaST fix this stuff? I don't think it ever liked the intel sound, at least I get an alert as much in X, and 11.0. Kmix controls the Creative card.

I use an Audigy with a tentacle I plug the radio and phonograph into, via EMU-10 or so.  The guy across the street and I were dicking with this Yamaha external firewire drive, hoping to someday owe music business tens of millions.  It doesn't go in Microsoft and my modprobe ohci1394's and sbp2 don't effect.  These chips are TSB82AA2 onboard and EMU1010 sb RCA box. Will I blow them both "diagnosing" this running the wire between? I really don't want lame board with pci 1394 adapter even if external box died.  The wire seems to have continuity and no short.

The legal question is if isolating comment-to-site incidents corresponding with upticks of spam hangover as legal threats to sites inviting comment, (without obvious warnings of free information, updates, etc?) This isn't it. And, of course, I want to go swimming.

TIA, foster