[ale] C++ Compiler Suggestions!

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Thu Jul 16 12:27:33 EDT 2009

ALErs -

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Marc Ferguson wrote:

> Thanks Richard,
> Really, VIM or EMACS? Nothing close to Borland or Visual Studio!? :)

Depends on what was important to you in the Win IDE you were using. I found Visual Studio and Borland's [Pascal] products great ways to learn a language because they link to a lot of specifications and code examples. I haven't found anything like this is Linux, but these aren't what I want from and IDE any more: I'm more interested in getting smoothly around the code to either understand it or fix it.

I generally use Source-Navigator for code analysis (just like it's name) and 'emacs' for most debugging. (You can even use 'emacs' as your editor in S-N and have the best(?) of both worlds. I also find S-N's 'project editor' both easier and stronger than VS. I appreciate using 'gdb' through both 'Insight' and 'emacs' as primary debugger, but I don't like "raw" 'gdb' very much. (There are scads of wrappers out there for 'gdb'. I wonder why? &8*)

The *NIX tools don't give you much help as a beginner but you can expect more flexibility as you become an experienced user.

Basically a religious argument. Spend some time with a tool and you mold your style to its strengths and steer away from its awkward corners.

Ask lots of questions on ALE (but _never_ "What's the best widget to do ***?") and you can expect ultra competent help.

Enjoy.

 - Mills