[ale] OT: Out in left field or in the sewers of The Big Apple

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 13 16:15:25 EDT 2009

On 07/13/2009 01:53:12 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> I'm sorry, I have to agree with the parents on this one.
> Knowingly
> leaving a manhole cover off without a barrier is
> unacceptable. We are
> all eager to condemn a pop-tart on a cellphone, but as the
> father of a
> 1 & 2 year old I don't like the idea that there could be a
> > 2ft
> diameter hole in a sidewalk.

I'm up to grandparenting, and on this last trip I spent a
large portion of our walks working on basic "pay attention
damnit" skills with the 2 year old. Like looking both ways
before entering the street, and then only if there are no
vehicles oncoming. Escallators need some work also, as she
isn't tall enough to safely hold the handrail (I got a
_nasty_ pinch from one as a child, so I'm a little
sensitive) Wish I could spend more time on it, as she is a
lovely child, but light minutes by radio from the world
(earth to kid - earth to kid - come in kid... 8-), like her
father was.