[ale] OT: Out in left field or in the sewers of The Big Apple

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 13 16:05:02 EDT 2009

On 07/13/2009 03:30:27 PM, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:53, Richard
> Bronosky<Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> >> I'm sorry, I have to agree with the parents on this
> one. Knowingly
> >> leaving a manhole cover off without a barrier is
> unacceptable. We are
> >> all eager to condemn a pop-tart on a cellphone, but as
> the father of a
> >> 1 & 2 year old I don't like the idea that there could
> be a > 2ft
> >> diameter hole in a sidewalk.
> >
> > You expect every sidewalk to be even, smooth, bump-free,
> hole-free,
> > etc?   If not, what is the acceptable sized hole that
> you would allow
> > in your sidewalk?
>
> I'm with Richard on this one.  It's unlikely you're going
> to run into a
> hole in the sidewalk that is as large and DEEP as a man
> hole.

Somebody needs to check this, but I get the impression that
the flaw in a sidewalk need only be an inch or so to leave
the owner _completely_ liable for any injuries resulting
from it. I might be overly paranoid, but I know that the
size of the "hazard" tain't much compared to the risks of
walking around in a nonurban region.