[ale] OT: Out in left field or in the sewers of The Big Apple

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Jul 13 15:36:49 EDT 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com
> <mailto:jlightner at water.com>> wrote:
>
>     Still -  why were the putting up safety cones AFTER opening the manhole?
>

> safety cones would not have prevented the idiot from falling in. cones
> first, open hole second seems reasonable. Yet I've seen open hole, look
> in to determine if that's where they need to be, determine yes, drop cones.
>
> It's my feet I'm in charge of. Step in dog poo, yes the dog dropped it,
> the owner didn't clean it up, but it's _still_ my feet.
>
> Sheesh. I thought I was "one of the liberals" here :-)

As previously noted, the cones should be up before the cover is removed.
  Further, I don't think I've EVER seen an open manhole marked by cones.
  In all cases, it's a fenced area, whether that's caution tape or a
metal fence.  Either of these solutions would likely have stopped the
clueless child from falling into the hole.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin