[ale] Determining where a video problem is

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:16:33 EDT 2009

Is this an LCD monitor? If so, the resolution may not be set to the native
resolution of the LCD.

On a default Ubuntu install, I will usually go into
gnome-appearance-properties and set all of the fonts to Bitstream Vera (a
TrueType font). You might also try messing around with the different
rendering techniques, which are dependent on the monitor and personal
preference. I will usually enable subpixel smoothing with full hinting.
Also, set the font resolution to 96dpi and adjust as needed. hth,
-Steve Brown