[ale] C++ Compiler Suggestions!

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Sun Jul 12 23:55:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Marc Ferguson wrote:

> Thanks Richard,
> Really, VIM or EMACS? Nothing close to Borland or Visual Studio!? :)

GNU Emacs is able to function as an entire integrated development,
particularly when your project uses the GNU autotools.  There are add-ons for
it that add functionality such as jumping to function definitions and working
with the project as a whole.  It is, at its core, a text editor, but it does
many, many more things; it can even function as an email or Usenet client, or
a Web browser.

I use Emacs for 99% of my programming; it supports shell scripting, Vala, C,
C++, C#, Java, Python... and much more.  Some are built-in, and others you
have to search the Web to find; generally a query of "$LANGUAGE mode" will
help you greatly.  For example, for Vala, go to Google and search for "vala
mode", and you'll find a script for Emacs that will let you work very nicely
with Vala code.

 	--- Mike