[ale] ClassNotFoundException even though the class is there

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Sun Jul 12 18:23:10 EDT 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Jim Philips wrote:
>> I'll paste it all below. This worked flawlessly until Java was
>> updated by
>> apt-get on July 2.
>
> This is.. THE classic problem with Java.
>
> What you had worked with the version you had..
> and you have been updated into oblivion.
>
> Sure, I've bad a few issues when Perl or PHP has gone through major
> updates. But Java seens to do this every time. and has for years.

Java development is my day job, and I rarely have problems with JVM
upgrades. Only times I've had problems is when the updates fail or
some corruption occurs. A message earlier indicated the update got
interrupted and a subsequent reinstall fixed the problem.

I used to do Perl development many years ago, and I had many more
problems with language or library changes breaking my code than I have
with Java.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org