[ale] ClassNotFoundException even though the class is there

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 10:52:21 EDT 2009

I've been using GCalDaemon to sync the calendar in Kontact with my Google
Calendar. I noticed that it hadn't really synced lately. So, I checked the
file where it stores synced data. It hasn't updated since July 2. Next I
tried to start GCalDaemon from the command line:

rebus at rebus-desktop:/usr/local/sbin/GCALDaemon/bin$ ./standalone-start.sh
java/lang/ClassNotFoundException: error in opening JAR file
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.14/jre/lib/rt.jar

So I do:

cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.14/jre/lib/

Sure enough, rt.jar is there, but it was updated on July 2. What would cause
Java to say the class is not found?