[ale] making skype work on FC11

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Jul 11 14:47:23 EDT 2009

Sean wrote:
> I finally solved this headache.
> Thought others might want to know how.
>
>>From the command line in /usr/bin run artsdsp -m ./skype.
> Once skype starts up get to the options tab start playing with Sound Devices.
>
> What worked for me were these options:
>
> Sound In:    QuickCam Pro 9000 (the combo camera/microphone attached to the box)
> Sound Out:   HDA NVidia (hw:NVidia,0)
> Ringing:     Default Device
>
> Note the major caveat:  This is a KDE system; and arts needs the entire KDE package.

That's a great webcam, isn't it? I bought one after I saw the Ubuntu
Podcast guys using one at the SOutheast Linuxfest.

For my Fedora 11 running Gnome on an Inspiron 1420, what works is

Sound In:    QuickCam Pro 9000
Sound Out:   HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)
Sound Out:   HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)

What Skype doesn't work is Pulseaudio, which makes me sad because
Pulseaudio makes it so easy to use my bluetooth headset.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts