[ale] gnome's GUI search

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 18:43:31 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
> >
> > Then install rpmfusion repo (and then install VLC client and mozilla-vlc
> > for multimedia) and adobe repo.
> >

> I like the latest Fedora a lot, but how is switching distro's supposed
> to change the behavior of gnome-search-tool?

Apparently different distro's use different version/compile flags. I run F11
and it does recursion by default. In fact, other than the weird screen off
behavior F11 is a vast improvement over F10.

Oh. Update from 64 bit F10 to 64 bit F11 using yum preupdate resulted in a
very unstable desktop. had to back off /home and install from scratch.

> You can check the settings in gconf-editor under /app/gnome-search-tool.
> If quick search is enabled, the search tool first displays results from
> the locate command. The index locate uses is updated daily be default.
> Next, the search tool runs the find command and displays additional
> results from it.

I think gconf-editor is a clear sign that gnome has made an increasingly
convoluted environment. Each generation has mostly added more thing that
must be done with the tool and are no longer in the application preferences.
But they heard the howls about the "open in browser window" vs. open new
window and put that control back in the nautilus browser preferences.

By default, Fedora does not install gconf-editor. I think it needs 1) a
default installation place on the top panel and 2) some decent
documentation.

> --
> All the best,
> Brian Pitts