[ale] gnome's GUI search

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:34:04 EDT 2009

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Then install rpmfusion repo (and then install VLC client and mozilla-vlc for
multimedia) and adobe repo.

I'm sure the Ubuntu crowd will yell and scream their disagreements but I
continually see (with some notable Fedora screwed-up exceptions) every other
distro playing catchup to the "RedHat/CentOS on the servers, Fedora on the
desktops" professional mantra.

I have consistently seen RedHat derivatives successfully install on more
hardware than any other distro. I'm not talking cpu varients (Debian has
that record hands down!) but x86 variant hardware from multiple vendors and
makers (and a good supply of ppc systems as well) it just works. Exceptions
are related to GPL violations and other proprietary stupid hardware (ATI
video, etc).

I've test installed (or tried to anyway) every Ubuntu version that has shown
up as a disk at Ale meetings or elsewhere. In most cases, I'm testing on a
highly common, generic Dell business class desktop that is being recycled.
In most cases, Ubuntu has failed to install. Most failures have been
installer errors (fatal exception crash). Many have been related to
unsupported hardware (usually chipset issues but sometimes NIC
identification issues are main issues). On the few occasions the install
completes I have been rewarded with no sound or really crappy video output
(vesa framebuffer). In all of these machines (save one where the drive
performed the hari-kari click of death on reboot) CentOS or Fedora loaded
without a hitch and resulted in a perfectly functioning system with working
sound and a correctly identified and functioning X video driver.

Note that the only special stuff I selected on any install was IP address
data.

Yes. I realize if everyone only used "the distro that worked" we wouldn't
have this wonderful community of distros we have now. I really do think it
is a good thing to have this extreme level of OS diversity. I just hope that
Ubuntu cleans it's act up and make a substantially more robust installer and
UI-level polishing tweaks befitting the "Community Darling" status it
currently enjoys. There was a point not too long ago that position was held
by RedHat. I sent more bug notices for their anaconda installer than I can
remember. OK. So I got in on the RedHat IPO as a result. :-$ But the big
impact was RedHat applied people/resources to beef up QC and it now really
shows they understand "Make it WORK everytime!".

Here's hoping Ubuntu get's it together soon. Since it's the "newbie distro
of choice" it will have to recognize it is the current "Face of Linux on the
Desktop". That's quite a heavy burden.

</ranting philosophy>

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Sean <kilpatms at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> > Hmm. My F11 system has a file find utility in top bar "Places"->"Search
> for
> > files" . It happily found file names buried 10+ layers deep in my home
> > director
>
> Glad to hear it.  But on this netbook, the Ubuntu version of the Gnome GUI
> search
> applet won't recurse even one level down -- even when told to check hidden
> files.
> When I have the time (hah!) I will try to find a configuration file and fix
> this
> madness.
>
> Sean

James P. Kinney III