[ale] Ubuntu configuration issues

Sean kilpatms at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 9 14:47:37 EDT 2009

I'm still in need of some help.
Bought a netbook to read email when traveling and to allow me to look at other
distros without mucking with my primary box.
Running Ubuntu 9.04 and tried to install Skype.  That crashed against the
dependency rock -- apparently I'm missing libqt4-core.
Tried to install and learned no such file in the repo.
So, how do I add which repos to an Ubuntu/Debian system so I can grab that lib file.

<rant mode>  Apparently Ubuntu assigns this netbook a new MAC address to eth0
every time it boots! WTF?
This does not play nicely with my router which checks all connections against a
list of approved MAC addresses.
I checked the BIOS and there's no way to turn this ?feature? off there.<end rant>

So is there any way to force Ubuntu to leave the ethernet chip alone?

Sean,

who is more confused than ever in Oak Grove, and still can't get Kmail to send an
email from this FC-11 box.