[ale] Google Chrome just got a lot better on Linux

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:07:28 EDT 2009

I agree with you Jeff. And it's not just the tin-foil hat talking either.

Yet I also think we've already passed the point of no return.

You and many others use (myself included) use Google search daily
because it works. That ability to work is a direct result of the
constant tracking that they do. That search allows a data point of
topic and requester's IP.  The ALE list is mirrored on google groups
as an emergency backup medium. That means they also have the email
address of anyone who posts to the list. This now provides a directly
inferrable "interest route" that can be pegged against the IP address
and email address. The search links can now correlate between an email
persona and other people and can also obtain a fair estimate of
"degrees of separation" based on email correspondence and similarities
of search data.

Now couple that with "customer loyalty card" data and credit card
purchase data and it is quite easy to built up a solid profile with
fairly accurate personality profiles (Yikes! Free software/speech/beer
advocate alert!).  Google has Checkout already. Do they also provide
bulk mail services for Kroger and Publix? I don't know but is either
wanted to make sure their message made it past spam filters, sending
email coupons through Google mail servers would be a good way.

Somewhere a series of red blinking lights just activated....

James P. Kinney III