[ale] Ubuntu/Gnome problems

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jul 6 20:54:35 EDT 2009

Sean wrote:
> Brian thanks for the hints.
>
> I ran the error reported to the terminal through Google:
>
> (cheese:3378): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display: assertion
> `atom != GDK_NONE' failed
>
> and discovered that I am dealing with a known bug in the software.
> Looking at this page:
>
> <http://code.google.com/p/google-gadgets-for-linux/issues/detail?id=311>
>
> it appears that this bug has been fixed, but I could not figure out how to
> download the patch and install it.

That looks like a bug report for a different application. I think the
Gdk-CRITICAL messages in that bug report, and in the output of Cheese,
are just line noise. See the link below, which says

"The warning has no effect on the application, and has been
fixed already. The fix will be in the next gtk+ release."

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2009-June/msg00017.html

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts