[ale] Dial-in widget for SuSE-11.1

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 5 08:35:50 EDT 2009

ALErs -

Thanks for the help. Now that I've got the connection working the issues
become more academic.

Yes, there are some dial-in users. I use dial-in from a cabin where
(unfortunately &8-) I can't spend enough time to justify DSL. I got the
account when I was working small jobs and without regular income; the
service and support are both minimal(!) from here, but it's the best cheap
ISP availble with a local phone call. In short, economic$. I also use
dial-in when visiting friends.

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, Meuon wrote:

> PPP does not "dhcp". In average ISP configs it hands out an address
> netmask and gateway and DNS
> After authentication. Depending on the initial auth  mode, this is
> capable of being plain text and easy to monitor. If PAP is used, not
> so easy.

I'm used to seeing a connect option like "Obtain DNS Automatically" so I
expect there is a convention here. Unfortunately the option didn't work or
I am not using it properly. Fortunately I have a couple of well-known DNS
IPs to use.

> I usually config with ppp-config
> And use pon, poff, and plog for manual control. Plog is useful for
> debugging PPP issues.

Good to know - thanks.

  - Mills