[ale] Preventing reboot on short duration power loss

Quentin Schander Quentin.Schander at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat Jul 4 19:49:00 EDT 2009

Andrew Grieser <agrieser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the advice. I bought one from Microcenter earlier this
> week, and went to hook it up when it complained the outlet wasn't grounded.
> Turns out, even though the outlet is a three prong outlet, it wasn't actually
> grounded. So I had to ground it (thus the delay), but now everything seems to
> be working. I just unplugged it from the wall, and it switches over to
> battery no problems.
>
> I did buy one with an AVR because, daily, my confidence in the power grid
> around here is lowered.
>
> I have one last question. If this outlet wasn't previously grounded, would
> the surge protector have even worked? Do surge protectors work on ungrounded
> outlets?

I expect that it would have worked but not perfectly.  The ground (or green) wire provides access to ground potential over a non load carrying wire.  The neutral (or white) wire is grounded too but must also function as the return leg for the current flowing in the circuit.  Faults can arise which diminish the effectiveness of the ground connection of the neutral wire.  Cheap surge protectors only have protection between the hot (black) wire and the ground wire.  Better surge protectors have protection between all three legs of the circuit.  Without a ground leg in the circuit, a cheap surge protector would have been ineffectual while a better surge protector would have been able to dump at least part of the surge to the neutral leg.

Quentin