[ale] Fedora 11 quirks

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 13:21:51 EDT 2009

On 07/02/2009 08:27 AM, Marc Ferguson wrote:

> That's what I have to do, whenever I try to enable kmod-nvidia. Reboot
> in runlevel 3, nano my xorg.conf and runlevel 5.

You have to go through this each time you boot or just on the initial
install? I only had to do that once after an occasional update that was
broke. It would be fine until the next update.
  It's been a mess and I
> can't do any of the cool stuff that I want to - Compiz, Wine (SWGEmu),
> VirtualBox, etc. Redhat's Bugzilla folks have been no help and even RPM
> Fusion Bugzilla folks haven't helped any. Right now I'm just sitting
> around, waiting for a magical update that will fix my video issues. I
> must have installed Fedora 11, three times, thinking it was something else.
>
> I think VirtualBox needs 3-D driver support in order to compile. I
> haven't confirmed it, so now when I work from home, I have to log into
> my Windows partition to do my day job. I miss "living" in Linux and
> switching my desktop to do my "windows" work.

It's been a long time since I've compiled from source VBox, I would just
install the RPM, I didn't realize 3D was a requirement. I do remember
that getting 3D working was a subject that was heavily discussed on the
VBox forums.