[ale] [OT] Roadrunner?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Jul 1 12:22:47 EDT 2009

Matt Gilbert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been a bit of a lurker for a while now, and I have an OT question
> you all would most likely know something about.
>
> Does anyone have experience with Roadrunner ISP? I had the impression
> that it was basically a quasi-high speed variation on dial up,
> leveraging server-side caching and compression for the most part, but I
> can't find anything to confirm this. It's apparently a cable ISP like
> any other (albeit owned by AOL-Time Warner). Is there any reason I
> should avoid them like the plague, the way I would anything else with
> the letters A, O, and L, in it?
>
> My real question is, if one were stuck in the woods for a while with
> Roadrunner, could one function?

I've had Roadrunner for almost ten years.  It's decent in general.
Over the past few weeks I've had some periodic service interruptions,
but that's unusual.  Over the time I've been with them, the level
of service has been generally excellent.  I had a 6Mbit/s account
for a long time, and recently changed to 3Mbit (and dropped the
whole cable TV service) as a cost-saving measure.  I'm starting
to suspect that the slower service levels are not as well taken care
of as the faster ones -- I'm only paying them $24/month instead
of the $100/month I was paying for 6Mbit+5-million-TV-channels-I-
didn't-need.

Ditto on tom's comment about the customer support, though. They're
fairly clueless in that department.

-- JK