[ale] OpenOffice Draw for Site Maps?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Jan 30 14:25:01 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:49 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> > 4. OOo's native world is Linux, so, bye bye winders.
>
> I keep pushing this to people, but I've gotten bad reviews from some that the
> formats don't translate well back & forth. Both spreadsheets & word DOCs
> loose formatting when going back & forth from home to office.

Here's my anecdote... I've made it through one year of high school,
going on 6 years of university, and the occasional job without having
trouble using Openoffice.org in a MS Office world. I recently had a
paper published that was collaboratively written by myself using Writer
and someone using Word. Emailing the file back and forth with "track
changes" enabled worked.

I've only had to abandon OpenOffice.org twice. The first time was when
designing a poster. This is actually easy to do in Powerpoint if you set
the scale properly, but Impress thought this was a crazy thing to do.
The second (ongoing) time was when a professor insisted we exchange
files in WordPerfect format. As far as I can tell only WordPerfect does
that. My email entreaties about open document standards fell on deaf
ears.

-Brian