[ale] OpenOffice Draw for Site Maps?

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Fri Jan 30 09:11:57 EST 2009

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu January 29 2009, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> Are you saying print it to Postscript, and what? I
>>> would still need to RUN it to print, which still means windows.
>> True.
>
> yes, for now, dual-boot is the answer.. for Visio & Quickbooks.. oh yeah, and
> my HP all-in-one, to scan docs to PDF..
> here's what I do in Winders(business):
> 1. email (ok, I use thunderbird.. I can do that in ubuntu)
> 2. bill & create invoices in Quickbooks
> 3. scan docs (HP 5610) & create a PDF to send out.
> 4. spreadsheet ( in OO format, for ME only:)
>
> how do you do 2 & 3 in linux.. my tax lady does Quickbooks..

1. You just admitted that you can do that in Ubuntu so that's one less
fer winders.

2. Not a perfect fix but check this out; http://www.linux.com/feature/41026
Also have a look at this, it's for the Enterprise Edition, I would
imagine that the lesser versions would eventually follow since M$ is
trying to kick Intuit's A$$ with Magellan;
http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_room/press_release/2007/06-13.jsp
So possibly this may soon be one less reason to keep winders

3. xsane will scan to a PDF, there is an option to save directly to PDF.
I have the HP Officejet Pro L7780 which uses the same drivers, at least
for scanning. I'm not sure off hand what the CLI command is to do it
though I remember running into it, just never really had a need for it.

4. OOo's native world is Linux, so, bye bye winders.