[ale] OpenOffice Draw for Site Maps?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Jan 29 17:54:51 EST 2009

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu January 29 2009, Jeff Lightner wrote:
>> Do any of these tools import or convert Visio templates?
>
> I have looked forever and never found anything that would import Visio.. so
> far..
> and that is exactly why I keep XP on my laptop, because I use Visio for every
> job.. not for ME, but to give to my boss & clients... who don't do linux..

If your laptop has an adequate amount of RAM (>1GB), you may
want to make friends with VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org)
if you haven't already.  VirtualBox runs unmodified Intel guest
OS's on a number of Intel host OS's, and includes 64-bit support
for both host and guest. It's a virtualizer, not an emulator, so
guest OS performance is pretty decent. I've got it installed on
my laptop (1.5GB) and it literally took me only about five minutes
to install it and configure a virtual WinXP instance (then
another 40 minutes to install XP on the guest machine).
I gave the virtual machine 512M of RAM and that seems adequate
to do once-in-a-while stuff under XP.  So you can install
Visio on the virtual machine, then edit VSDs directly on the
host OS's Linux filesystem from within the XP environment.

I'm not sure how VirtualBox compares to Xen or other hypervisors,
performace- or feature-wise, but is sure was easy as pie to set
up.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov