[ale] Oh Crap....

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 14:55:31 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:

> On Wed January 28 2009, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > About 2 years ago I got a returned email (undeliverable notice) (yes,
> > a real one!) from an email I sent in 1998. I had to reread all the
> > headers several times before I really believed it. I have a trail of
> > old, forwarded email addresses but this was the first time I had seen
> > an email make it through 3 server layers and one with dead accounts
> > from a decade ago. Amazingly, the initial address to go back to me was
> > an ancient Mindspring account (been dead now for 7+ years) that was
> > forwarded for about 4 months to another account. That poor email sat
> > on a server backup tape until someone restored a machine and off it
> > went.
> >
> > Hmm. That brings up an interesting problem - Stale data lying around
> > on old backup media.
>
> that's why I like giving out my domain email, instead of my ISP.. I can't
> count on one hand anymore the number of ISP emails I've had... bellsouth,
> comcast, mindspring.. yes, I have more than 3 fingers..
>

> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

I don't know if I can fully relate to this conversation, but ever since I
started hosting my own sites, I haven't gone back to using my ISP as an
email account.  One of these days I'll create an email server at home and
really screw things up.

marc at fergytech.net

--
Marc F.

www.fergytech.com
Registered Linux User: #410978

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!" -Marc F.