[ale] Oh Crap....

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:43:19 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

> (P.S., and again ironically, I got a postcard back in the mail today that was
> undeliverable.  What makes that relevant and interesting?  I sent the postcard
> out over a year ago!)

About 2 years ago I got a returned email (undeliverable notice) (yes,
a real one!) from an email I sent in 1998. I had to reread all the
headers several times before I really believed it. I have a trail of
old, forwarded email addresses but this was the first time I had seen
an email make it through 3 server layers and one with dead accounts
from a decade ago. Amazingly, the initial address to go back to me was
an ancient Mindspring account (been dead now for 7+ years) that was
forwarded for about 4 months to another account. That poor email sat
on a server backup tape until someone restored a machine and off it
went.

Hmm. That brings up an interesting problem - Stale data lying around
on old backup media.

James P. Kinney III