[ale] Backups (What are you using?)

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Jan 27 15:57:46 EST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Brandon Colbert wrote:

> For a small company like us, and the messed up economy. Saving money means
> saving job. Besides, I use enough budget money on the Cisco stuff. LOL

Which gets into: Make sure that when you use FOSS technologies to "Save
Money" it gets documented well and justified like:

Instead of buying the packaged ABC backup solution for $100k plus
80 man-hours of in-house time to install/configure/test and manage it, we
built a well tailored and robust solution using FOSSa and FOSSb
technologies for a capital expense of only $25k in hardware and software.
and 250 in-house man hours with an estimated cost of: 25k
for a net savings of 50k. We would also like to donate some $500 checks to
the FOSSa and FOSSb organizations as a token of appreciation.