[ale] Backups (What are you using?)

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Jan 27 08:32:08 EST 2009

All the environments I've worked in for the past 10 years have used
NetBackup.  It supports multiple platforms including UNIX, Windows and
Linux but the Linux client is designed for RedHat so you'd have to play
with it some to make it work on other distros.

If folks really don't like tape then they can do something like backups
to Data Domain (deduplication NAS devices) in shop then use their
ability to transfer images to units setup in offsite storage locations.

For 12 TB of storage I'd think it would probably be worthwhile to look
at a NetBackup solution even though it costs.

While rsync is great for many things I probably would only use it for
backup in a small home environment if for anything.   HP OmniBack is
mostly used by folks that are in HP-UX shops but not even all of them
(I've worked in 3 that didn't).  I suspect the IBM stuff is mainly used
by folks in an AIX shop but again probably not by all of them.
NetBackup is platform agnostic though it does seem to do its initial
testing and fixes on Solaris most of the time.