[ale] Backups (What are you using?)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:19:13 EST 2009

4+ years on Bacula!! I have a 10 tape carousel from VXA with a VXA2
drive. Daily backups of 8 machines. Restore process has been put to
use on more than one occasion including the director machine (yikes!
that was scarey!!) from bare metal. It Just Works (tm).

Amanda is nice but doesn't scale as well as bacula. The docs for
bacula are outstanding. Bacula is a command line version of the big
commercial tools like Legato and HP Omniback.

The new features that support encrypted transport tunnel and encrypted
data on the tape make road warrior backups safe and reliable. It can
also make for a backup and restore business for those with fat pipe on
burst and NAS/tape storage hardware.

2009/1/26 Brandon Colbert <colbert.brandon at gmail.com>:
> All,
>
> Today I proposed a new backup solution using Bacula. Does anyone have Bacula
> deployed in their environment? I just wanted to see what everyone else is
> using.

James P. Kinney III