[ale] Ubuntu help

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:31:32 EST 2009

James Sumners wrote:

> Aptitude is a replacement for dselect. Aptitude is merely a front-end
> for apt; it can't do anything apt will not.

i would disagree somewhat.  aptitude is a frontend for dselect not apt.
 both give you the ways to install, remove, upgrade, etc. but aptitude
offers a "better" interface (ncurses) that allows you to cycle through
options for solving conflicts.

apt was first and is cited most often on lists (i still find myself
doing this), but aptitude was started to solve issues apt had.  you can
do (most) everything by substituting "aptitude" for "apt-get" in a
terminal.  when the author (Daniel?) did this i believe it was to help
people transition easier.  (ok, i haven't ever asked him or anything so
there is no basis for that other than a warm fuzzy)

simply aptitude can do what apt can in fewer steps and better (and 'yes'
i know there's nothing more dangerous than a 'convert') :)

a quick google search brought this link up:
http://pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/

my first transition to aptitude was quite spooky, but i now use it for
everything.

i love it but YMMV.

Preston

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman’s perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/