[ale] OT: Downadup/conficker worm makes MSM

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jan 26 10:24:43 EST 2009

> It amazed me through the rest of my career how many hotel people simply
> couldn't function when "the computer" was "down".  Many folks seem to

I just got back from Guyana.. (Business Trip)
and many of the decent sized stores used:

1. Receipt book with carbon paper between the sheets.
2. Running Total(s) Ledger next to the drawer..in/out/categories
and
3. Only took cash, Guyanese or US Dollars.

Checkout at the grocery store didn't take much longer than those using
scanners and POS systems in the USA.

---

I was at a large "home accessories" store in Atlanta not long ago,
and they had a power outage, I was amazed at how quickly the
paper pads came out, they even did paper CC transactions
on an imprinter. I told the manager how impressed I was,
she laughed, and told me that the POS system was often down
for a day at a time (not always because of power outages)
and she and the cashiers were good at doing it on paper.
Yes, it was a Winders based system.