[ale] Ubuntu help

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 10:15:31 EST 2009

2009/1/26 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:42:55 -0500
> Joshua Kite <jwkite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a machine that had Ubuntu Feisty on it.  I needed to add some
> > packages when I realized the shortcomings of not keeping a distro
> > current; the Feisty packages have been archived because it is no
> > longer supported. Long story short, I ultimately ended up changing
> > the sources.list file to point to Hardy and managed to mostly get the
> > box upgraded.  However, I continually had issues apt installing
> > linux-generic and other kernel-related packages.  I had run in to
> > dependency hell.
>
> The problem here is that you skipped from Feisty to Hardy.  Probably
> the best bet would have been to upgrade from Feisty (7.04) to Gutsy
> (7.10), and then to Hardy (8.04).
>
> Officially speaking, Ubuntu's upgrading infrastructure only supports
> upgrading from one release to the next immediate release; the only
> exception for that is from LTS to LTS.  For example, users of Dapper
> did not have to upgrade from Dapper to Edgy to Feisty to Gutsy to
> Hardy.  They were able to skip Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy altogether and
> just upgrade directly to Hardy.  When the next LTS comes out, Hardy
> will be able to upgrade directly to it, as well.
>
> I don't suppose that there is probably a way to revert the packages to
> the state that they were in before you started with this.  Given that,
> I would wipe the drive and install Intrepid.  :-P
>
> You mentioned 2.2 kernels.  I don't know what you're referring to,
> there; Ubuntu uses the 2.6 series and has all the way back to Ubuntu
> 4.10, the very first release (which used Linux 2.6.8 for its kernel).
>
> Could you provide some extra data?  If you could pastebin the following
> files:
>
>  /boot/grub/menu.lst
>  /var/log/apt/term.log [Only starting from the upgrade]
>
> Also, the output of the following commands will be useful:
>
>  ls -ld /boot/*
>  dpkg -l
>
> I mentioned pastebin because some of these are going to be quite
> lengthy and shouldn't be on-list.  I'd recommend pasting them there and
> then providing links here.
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
> http://www.trausch.us/

> Mike,

Thanks for the help.  After a good night's sleep, I have booted via livecd
and chrooted into my system.  Just to cover all the bases, my system has /
/boot /home /usr and /var on different partitions, and I mounted all of
those before chrooting.

I have used apt-get to remove all linux images and similar packages.  My
goal at this point is to install the linux-server package, although I would
be content with any working kernel at this point.

Per your request, here are the files you asked for (and thanks, btw, for
introducing me to pastebin):

/boot/grub/menu.lst  http://pastebin.com/m27055ad2

/var/log/apt/term.log (starting after the upgrade got the machine stable but
before I ended up removing the kernel) http://pastebin.com/m76ada55f

ls -ls /boot/*  http://pastebin.com/m75fd2534
dpkg -l http://pastebin.com/m16834573

When I attempt the following:
sudo apt-get install linux-server I receive the following:
http://pastebin.com/d5ff8059f

The part that confuses me are the last five lines:

       1.
       2.
           linux-image-2.6.24-23-server
       3.
           linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-23-server
       4.
           linux-image-server
       5.

               linux-server

How does one go about resolving dependency problems when attempting to
install the kernel???

Thanks Mike and anyone else for your help.

Josh Kite