[ale] Ubuntu help

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sun Jan 25 23:36:15 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 22:14 -0500, James Sumners wrote:
> 2009/1/25 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:
> > Officially speaking, Ubuntu's upgrading infrastructure only supports
> > upgrading from one release to the next immediate release...
>
> I call BS on that. Ubuntu is derivative of Debian. Unless they have
> royally screwed up apt, then editing the sources.list and doing
> `apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade` will upgrade any older
> version to any newer version.

Strangely, dist-upgrade isn't a supported upgrade method between
versions of Ubuntu. My understanding is that apt wasn't able to smoothly
handle all of the changes from one distribution to another, so they
built their own tools- update-manager for the desktop and
do-release-upgrade for the server.

-Brian