[ale] kmod failed to exec /sbin/modprobe ?

Paul Borghese pborghese at groupstudy.com
Sat Jan 24 15:36:05 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

I am trying to move a server from a standalone box to a VMWare ESXi virtual
server. When it was a standalone box, it used software raid. Now, under the
ESXi server, it will not use any raid. I have edited the appropriate fstab,
mtab, and /boot/grub/menu.lst files.

To move the server, I made a complete back and then restored the backup to
an empty partition on the ESXi virtual server. I have edited the appropriate
fstab, mtab, and /boot/grub/menu.lst files and installed grub on the MBR.

When the server boots, it fails with the lines:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
VFS: Cannot open root device sda1 or 08:01

So it seems as if modprobe can not load the module for block-major-8.

I have rebuilt initrd and edited /etc/modules.conf to alias block-major-8 to
sd_mod. Neither idea worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Paul