[ale] Ext4 adoption anyone?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Jan 24 05:24:25 EST 2009

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> It would probably not hurt things if X could support something like an
> emulation of previous driver ABIs, but I would imagine that would be
> horribly complex to maintain.

Isn't that why Windows still has so much cruft? :)

> I'd imagine, though, that it would be possible to implement a FUSE
> filesystem that actually spoke its own more efficient protocol and used
> SSH as a tunnel, such that you could get block-level access to the
> files on the remote filesystem without worrying about caching the
> entire bloody file.  I wonder if something like that already exists,
> since it'd be extremely useful over long distances or slow links.

sshfs is reasonably efficient.  I've watched (long!) video files over
wifi, and seeking was pretty darn quick.  Much faster than waiting for
the couple hundred meg that would be required if it needed to transfer
the whole file.

> I don't know anything about the current sshfs implementation as I
> haven't looked at it, but I would wager that it fetches the file,
> caches it locally, and then sends it back when you change it, since it
> says it uses SFTP to do its work.

I don't know anything about the implementation, either :(

Pat