[ale] Ext4 adoption anyone?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Jan 24 04:37:42 EST 2009

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> (For the record, I don't mind binary-only drivers from a hardware
> manufacturer, assuming that (a) the driver works and is guaranteed to
> work, and (b) it has well-written documentation that says how to use
> it.  That said, I don't know of many binary-only drivers that are
> actually of any satisfying level of quality; even NVIDIA drivers kinda
> stink depending on the chipset you're using.)

I had a basic desktop last year that was using the binary ati driver.
After an upgrade, the video chipset was no longer supported by the
binary driver.  Unfortunately, there were also issues with the open
source driver and the older binary blob didn't work with the newer xorg
release.

Fortunately, it turned out that a single setting tweak in the xorg.conf
fixed the problem.  I'm sure you know what could have happened, and how
mad I'd have been if that were something more important than a crappy
video card :)

> Hrm.  I will certainly try that out and see how it does.  I had fallen
> back to using scp/sftp/rsync (depending on what I am doing) since
> they're "easy enough" to use.  But having a real mount point is always
> better, when it works all the time.  :)

Wouldn't it be nice if the sshfs filesystem were smart enough to rsync
on a copy/move when it made sense? :)

Pat