[ale] OT: Downadup/conficker worm makes MSM

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 23 17:40:34 EST 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009 09:13:54 Jim Kinney wrote:
> Can't email 'em the news. They all got goated and are offline :-)
>

> BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
>
> 2009/1/23 Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>:
> > This morning's NYT has a story (
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/technology/internet/23worm.html ) about
> > Downadup/Conficker, a windows worm which has been all the news on
> > slashdot and similar sites.  It's a pretty good summary, although it
> > doesn't mention the amusing side-plot that Microsoft's advice on
> > protecting yourself from this plague is flawd (
> > http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/21/2317222 ).
> >
> > Naturally, we're immune to this kind of goatf*ck.  But it might be worth
> > writing a note to your  winders-using friends and relatives.
> >
> > -- CHS

The Register published a hilarious story about a hospital whose network was
brought down by the worm. They had turned off automated Windows update, because
they had a critical computer reboot on them in the middle of surgery. Having
turned off the updates, they missed the one that would have offered them some
protection.