[ale] ATL Colocation and file server suggestions

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jan 23 10:37:08 EST 2009

I'll have to say I strongly disagree.

First off in a SAN environment you usually have multiple paths to the
storage using multiple HBAs in the servers as well as multiple fibre
adapters in the storage arrays.  If you just have 2 and 2 that gives you
4 paths to the data.  Lose 3 and you're STILL running.

Secondly most storage arrays have a fair amount of redundancy built in
including multiple power supplies with their own batteries that even in
the event of a full data system power outage allow them to flush all
cache to disks before the array itself stops operating.   In such an
event having multiple arrays wouldn't have helped because all the arrays
would go down at the same time.

You do of course also want to have redundant fibre switches so loss of
one switch doesn't take down the SAN.

It's possible to lose RAID sets but that isn't a function of SAN but
rather a function of RAID and you'd have the same risk with RAID built
into the server (e.g. Dell PERC).  You have even more of a risk NOT
doing RAID because loss of a single drive is apt to destroy all your
data.

I've been working on SANs for over 10 years now and most of the issues
I've seen with them had more to do with misunderstanding of the way the
array works than anything else.