[ale] Ext4 adoption anyone?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jan 21 18:15:19 EST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:33:26 -0500
James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> Custom kernels have nothing to do with having to recover from a crash.
> In the early days of Ext3, I had a couple instances where I had to
> mount my Ext3 partition as Ext2 to recover data from it. This is
> really only necessary when the Ext3 journal gets corrupted.

I mention that only because I use them everywhere, including rescue
disks, with the featureset that I use.

That said, wouldn't passing the "noload" option at mount time do what
you need, while still being able to mount the ext3 fs?  From the kernel
documentation (Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt in the kernel tree):

When mounting an ext3 filesystem, the following option are accepted:
(*) == default

[snip]
noload			Don't load the journal on mounting.

That option is available in ext4, too.  It'll show you a filesystem
with possible consistency issues, but so would mounting as ext2 for any
extX filesystem that has a journal and no extents...

That said, I also use rsnapshot for managing backups and restoration.
I used to use dump/restore for that, but since rsnapshot is easier, I
just use it combined with at least two copies of the data.
dump/restore doesn't support ext4 anyway, nor most other filesystems
that Linux supports...

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.