[ale] Ext4 adoption anyone?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jan 21 17:25:34 EST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:55:48 -0500
Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com> wrote:

> I'm less interested in performance improvements in my filesystem than
> I am in new advanced features.  Btrfs and zfs both interest me a lot.

You may want to take a look at Tux3, too.[1,2]  That filesystem looks
very promising.  It's definitely not ready yet, but I am eagerly
awaiting it; the approach it takes to versioning seems interesting in
theory.

> I've toyed with zfs, and I would be very happy if it could be legally
> integrated into the Linux kernel.  I could make much use of the
> ability to create volumes as easily as I can currently create a
> directory.  Long term read/write snapshots would be handy as well.
> Especially without having to guess how big the snapshot will need to
> be ahead of time.

Supposedly the FUSE module for ZFS is fast and reliable, have you toyed
with that?

> Zfs snapshots and volumes are nearly tempting enough to get me to
> switch out my operating system, but not quite.  My RCS and backups do
> most of the job, they just require a bit more effort and I can't
> eliminate the backups anyway.

RCS?  Really?  Sounds kinda painful to me...  ;-)

	--- Mike

[1] http://tux3.org/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux3

--