[ale] ATL Colocation and file server suggestions

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Jan 20 08:58:03 EST 2009

I've seen two drives die in a RAID5 and it convinced us (or more
importantly the idiots that had argued space was more important than
redundancy before) that RAID10 made more sense.

Seeing two mirrors drop out in RAID10 shouldn't be an issue so long as
you have two spares because it should be able to recreate both mirrors
as it is both mirrored and parity striped.   (Losing two in RAID1 would
of course be an issue [assuming you didn't have a 3rd mirror]).   What
hardware array was being used that dropping two mirrors caused a problem
for RAID10?

I'll have to say that even if having two mirrors drop in RAID10 were a
problem it must be a sign that God hates the person that had it if the
two drives that failed (assuming it was only two) happened to be the
ones that were mirrors of each other.  We've been using RAID10 for the
last 4 years since our last major RAID5 fiasco and have not seen such a
failure.