[ale] GPG question about how names appear

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Jan 18 16:56:30 EST 2009

On 01/18/2009 04:29 PM, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> Yes, what I'd like to do is either edit or remove entirely:
>
> "Gmail (Gmail account) <hjsizemore at gmail.com>"
>
> and replace it with:
>
> "Trey Sizemore (Gmail account) <hjsizemore at gmail.com>"

Yeah, the former UID is already in the public keyservers.  If you want
to get rid of that user ID you should revoke it, and add the other one.

btw, i'm not sure what you gain from having the "Gmail account" comment
field.  Since the e-mail address is clearly a gmail account, why bother
putting that there?  How is this User ID different from:

 Trey Sizemore <hjsizemore at gmail.com>

?  If they're functionally equivalent, i would personally prefer the
more concise variant as the canonical one.  Could be just me, though,
and of course these kinds of decisions about how you represent yourself
are entirely up to you (one of the big advantages to the OpenPGP model,
imho).

	--dkg