[ale] GPG question about how names appear

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Jan 18 16:13:22 EST 2009

On 01/17/2009 07:28 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> The only thing you can do is delete that uid and add a correct one.

This is not the way to go, actually.  As mike mentions later in his
mail, once a uid has been uploaded to the keyservers, deleting it
locally doesn't really do anything for you -- it still exists (along
with its associated self-certification) in the memory of the network.

> The ability to expire or revoke just a uid and not a whole key or whole
> subkey is an unfortunate deficiency.

It's not clear to me what this is supposed to mean.  You *are* able to
revoke user ids.  within "gpg --edit-key", there is a subcommand
"revuid" which allows you to revoke a uid (and there is also a "revkey"
which is capable of revoking individual subkeys).

I suspect that what the OP wants is to revoke the uid that he doesn't
like, and to add a new one (though maybe not in that order).

regards,

	--dkg