[ale] A new web server

Terry Bailey terry at bitlinx.com
Sun Jan 18 15:47:49 EST 2009

The web server logs seem to be OK.

I am using Apache on Centos 5.2 64 bit.  I am assuming that since
Apache came as a non-add-on that it is also 64 bit and not in some
emulation mode.

What refuses to load sometimes are some of the gif and jpg files.  If
you do a refresh on the browser, they come down immediately. This is
true with different browsers.

None of the graphics is loaded through a script.

This is a new box running a Xeon dual core with 4 gigs of RAM.

My old server, running Apache, had only 512 of RAM and had a clock
speed of 450 Megahertz. It served out this Web site just fine.

I have a computer on my local area network that is running Fedora 9
with Apache.  So, I downloaded the Web server data, keeping the same
file structure, to it.  It works just great!

Maybe I should just go back to Fedora 9 in the data center.

BTW, the new server ran for a day before this began to happen.  I
have rebooted twice, but that did not help.  One other page with no
graphics sometimes takes 30 seconds to load.   My data center says
that there is no problem with bandwidth.