[ale] Seagate 500GB Sata-CRASH!

Adam Allred prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:01:55 EST 2009

IDK if it applies particularly to your hard drive, but the bricking
problem has gotten to be systemic enough to hit slashdot:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/17/0115207

In a nutshell: the firmware for the hard drive has a bug that "locks"
the drive. It's supposedly not a hardware failure, or a safety
issue...but a poorly built "feature".

Seagate's KB article says the problem applies to all 7200.11 models down
to 160GB manufactured up to the end of 2008.

They're even offering free data recovery. I certainly hope there's
nothing on the drive that prohibits it leaving your hands...

Hope this helps!

Adam