[ale] linking MS to E-waste

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:22:10 EST 2009

And what's more, the death penalty could ELIMINATE double-parking overnight!
We'd only have to execute a couple of people!

Seriously, much computer e-waste is simply a function of rapidly advancing
technology.  I love Bill Gates and Winders for the same reason you do (as I
am happily swimming in a sea of very cheap and advanced hardware), but it's
naive to think that if the world switched to linux there'd be fewer machines
upgraded and then thrown out.  It seems to me that as standards solidify
perhaps this trouble will be less severe. There's simply nothing you can do
today with a 1990's era machine, but the Lian Li case I have sitting beside
me is probably good for a couple more generations of motherboards. Heck,
I've been gonna put a new, more advanced video card which I bought for $25
into that machine. And USB devices are still good on later versions of the
standard.

-- CHS