[ale] Internal IDE DVD Burner

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Fri Jan 16 15:11:31 EST 2009

I think I've run into a bad DVD burner/reader and maybe someone can help.
At home I've got 5-internal DVD burners and at work I have 1-external DVD
burner at my disposal. Of these 6-burners I'm pretty sure I know the brand
names of most (2-Sony; 1-HP; 1-eMachine; 1-Pioneer; 1-LiteOn) based upon
the machines they are in. I know the Sony's are the same even though 1 is
internal and the other external.
The burner I seem to be have the problem with is the Pioneer.  It doesn't
seem to process a Fedora 9 x86_64 or CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installation DVD -
even if the thing was burned on it!  All of the blank DVDs are +R and I
use Verbatim, HP, Imation, and TDK.  Currently the machine that houses the
Pioneer is the only x86_64 machine I have, so I have no way to test on
another machine.
The only install DVD that is working is Fedora 8 and Fedora 10.  I want to
install CentOS 5 as it's the most like the Red Hat 5.1 I support at work
and I want to run Oracle on my machine. How can I verify a x86_64 install
DVD on a non-x86_64 machine (I've done the md5sum and sha1sum process at
DVD creation time)?  Is it because I've burned a x86_64 DVD on a i386
machine causing me a problem?  Should I just try -R DVDs?  Should I lower
the burn speed?  Is the phantom of the DVD haunting me?

TIA,
Gene