[ale] Seagate 500GB Sata-CRASH!

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Fri Jan 16 14:57:12 EST 2009

On Fri, January 16, 2009 2:34 pm, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri January 16 2009, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> > date code: 08396
>>
>> April 4, 2008
>
> that... figures.
>>
>> Prime failure area in my experience.  Too bad, but at least it leaves
>> me with hope that late the had the 500GB issue in hand by late summer.
>>
>> I'm surprised you have a new drive made that long ago.  Typically it
>> is just a couple months between manufacture and delivery to customers.
>>  Or so I thought.
>
> It was one of the LAST drives still onthe shelf at Circuit City in Athens,
> before they closed the doors.. I should have waited.. but, like you I
> ASSuMEd
> that all those defective drives were long gone.

Based upon what I was reading in the article I referenced, it appears that
this was a Seagate BIOS issue that has been corrected with a BIOS update,
but Seagate didn't notify non-proactive customers.  IE: If you didn't
experience the problem or weren't monitoring their forums, you wouldn't
know about it until it was too late.

Either way, that really is a sucky situation to be in, Paul. :(  I just
hope that Seagate can help you.  (Did you check out any of the links in
the article I sent?)

Cheers!
Jay