[ale] Seagate 500GB Sata-CRASH!

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Jan 16 13:28:53 EST 2009

On Fri January 16 2009, Ken Ratliff wrote:
> Well the first thing I'd suggest is dropping it in another box to see if
> that box will see it. Assuming no, it's probably time to get an RMA number
> from Seagate if their own utils don't won't see it.

that would be great IF I had another desktop box that HAD SATA drives..
which... I DON'T. This is my newest PC, all my older ones are IDE, as I found
out when I tried to steal a drive from my old IDE box to insert in the new
one, only to discover my new-found SATA connections :)
I've tried it on 2 different motherboard ports, and I do feel it spin up, and
it is recognized by the BIOS as being there ( it errors out when I unplug it,
and says press F1 to continue. ).. and I did put in a report to Seagate,
waiting for the tech to reply....... Gee, wish I had backed up my backup
drive, so I could have saved those pictures:)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800