[ale] Seagate 500GB Sata-CRASH!

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Jan 16 13:05:37 EST 2009

well, I was playing around with a 64 bit kernel, and decided to reboot. on
rebooting the CPU case was buzzing, I thought the cover was loose. When it
came back up it was giving me fsck errors on the mountable partitions on the
2nd drive ( the NEW Seagate ).. oops, so I rebooted into 32bit mode, yeah,
well, no difference. So I booted into XP partition to install the latest
Bios, I'd been putting off doing that til my next reboot.. So I installed the
new BIOS, rebooted, nada. It took forever to reboot, I thought it was just
hanging at the Intel Matrix Storage manager section, but after a minute or
more it finally booted, but gave errors on all the /dev/sdbX partitions.
I downloaded the Seagate drive utilities, and ran them, but it doesn't see a
drive attached to the bus ;(
and I just GOT that drive when Circuit City went under !!!
Seagate Barracuda st3500320A6 500Gb SATA drive.

any suggestions?? so much for my backup scheme.. hm, I better turn off the
rsync, come to think of it..
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800