[ale] Hoodwinking people to use linux (Was: Hmm... Linux on Netbooks)

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 12:27:55 EST 2009

Ken Ratliff wrote:
<snipped>

> Personally, I can't wait until the next time one of my parents
> computers die and needs a reinstall. I'm going to install Ubuntu first
> and foremost and make them at least *try* it.

I basically did this with my sister's computer.  She was already
familiar with Firefox, Thunderbird, and OpenOffice so when her machine
died I put Debian on it.  She has been using it since Christmas and has
had (almost) no transition problems.  In the beginning her getting used
to the UI took a few minutes, but now she is getting around great.

We even created logins for her two children and they get a kick out of
being able to customize it.

The biggest hurdle was getting her to understand that she didn't need to
run a virus scanner and that she might not be able to buy a game or
other software from Wal-Mart.  Now when she is wanting something she is
starting to either ask me or look it up herself.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman’s perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/