[ale] Centos/Apache

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Thu Jan 15 17:54:31 EST 2009

Terry Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will load Centos onto a dual core Xenon with 4 gigs of RAM.  If all
> the modules are loaded when I gen the system, will that slow down apache?

Actually, just loading the modules will present a very small impact on
apache. What matters is whether you USE those modules or not and that
will depend on how you have apache configured and what pages you are
serving. For
instance ModRewrite incurs pattern matching overheads that are low if
you have only a few rules. But its possible to have hundreds or
thousands of them which WOULD create some noticeable overhead.

As always, tis depends. But just as a rule of thumb, not noticeable on
the hardware you described.

hope this helps

Vernard